Wat Ratchabophit was built in 1864 on a coffee plantation originally owned by King Rama IV who had the Temple Built. King Rama IV made the Temple a place to practice meditation for those living in the Grand Palace. Wall paintings in the main ordination hall of the Temple depicts royal ceremonies as well as some significant works and events of King Rama IV. The main feature seen in the Temple is a tall golden chedi which is reported to be over 40 meters high and is covered with orange-colored tiles. Inside the chedi is a relic of Buddha. On the west end of the temple grounds is the Royal Cemetery, with numerous monuments to major and minor members of the Royal Family, most notably those in the immediate family of King Chulalongkorn.